ROSEVILLE, CA – Flip the 14, a statewide organization focused on defeating all 14 Republican Members of Congress in California, and the Sacramento Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO which consists of over 100 labor unions in Northern California, today announced a partnership and field strategy to defeat Republican Congressman Tom McClintock in California’s 4th Congressional District. Earlier this month, the Cook Political Report added CA-04 to their list of swingable districts.
“Working people have had enough of Tom McClintock. Vote after vote, he sabotages our ability to support our families and improve life in our community. He’s voted against basic worker protections and health care for us all. It’s time for a change,” said Fabrizio Sasso, executive director of the Sacramento Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO.
He added, “The Sacramento Labor Council believes the conditions are ripe to win in CA-04, and we’re excited to partner with Flip the 14 to immediately launch a metric-driven field campaign the likes of which this district has never seen before.”
“It wasn’t that long ago that Charlie Brown narrowly lost to Tom McClintock in this district by only 1,800 votes. This year, strong women candidates are running to defeat McClintock, and two of them outraised him in the most recent filing period,” explained Doug Linney, Flip the 14’s cofounder and campaign manager. “Working with the Sacramento Labor Council, Flip the 14 is going to do everything it takes to help McClintock’s eventual challenger be victorious in November.”
Flip the 14 and the Sacramento Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO believe that Congressman McClintock’s extreme record makes him vulnerable in a blue wave election. He regularly hurts workers, opposes needed regional investments, attacks immigrants, fights against health care access, denies climate change, and does little to nothing to protect the natural wonders that exist across CA-04. He hasn’t faced a serious challenge in a decade.
Their field plan is focused on:
- Early paid field organizers on the ground in CA-04, building the needed field infrastructure;
- Extensive volunteer recruitment through in district actions and Flip the 14’s large call and text center;
- Ongoing voter outreach highlighting the tremendous harm Congressman McClintock’s votes and actions have caused his constituents;
- Ongoing voter registration in communities left behind by McClintock’s extreme record on worker’s rights, health care access, help for seniors and children, consumer protections, environmental stewardship, and the civil rights and equal treatment of women, communities of color, and immigrants; and
- A voter outreach strategy that focuses on Democratic-leaning and persuadable voters who don’t frequently turn out in mid-term elections.
This work is complemented by an exhaustive precinct-by-precinct analysis of opportunities to identify and turn out anti-McClintock votes in CA-04.