There’s a lot to digest after yesterday’s U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence hearing with former FBI Director James Comey. We now know that:
1) Comey thinks Trump is a liar. In fact, he identified five different occasions in which he thinks the President is selling us a heap of bullshit.
2) Comey didn’t want to be left alone with Trump. I can’t blame him.
3) Comey wanted to see a special counsel appointed. He made sure word of his memos reached the media, because he thought that would trigger the appointment of a special counsel. He was right.
4) Comey hopes his conversations with the President were recorded. On Twitter, Trump implied “tapes” of their conversations might exist. You can already buy a t-shirt with Comey’s response: “Lordy, I hope there are tapes.” Those aren’t the words of a man afraid of the truth.
5) Comey laid out the case for an obstruction of justice charge. He didn’t go further than “very disturbing, very concerning,” but he said the special counsel is undoubtedly looking into it.
6) Comey suggested that Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ Russia problems haven’t hit rock bottom. It’s being reported that in close door session, Comey said there might have been a third unreported meeting between Sessions and Russia’s ambassador. Why does everyone forget meeting with this guy
As the drip, drip, drip of this unfolding scandal continues, Flip the 14 will be monitoring California’s Republican Members of Congress. Who will show courage and hold this Administration accountable? Who will drink the vodka and defend a Nixonian presidency in freefall? Who will hide their heads in the sand, hoping it all just goes away?
Stay tuned, comrades. We’ve only reached the tip of the iceberg. You can bet this is one “you’re fired” that Trump wishes he could take back.