What We Do
Flip the 14 is working to strengthen the work of the Resistance throughout California. We provide a number of services to Resistance organizations, including:
- Strategic analysis reports for the 14 Republican-held districts in California to help the Resistance understand what it will take to win.
- A call and text center operation to recruit volunteers for partner Resistance organizations and other contacts that amplifies the Resistance.
- One-on-one professional consulting services for Resistance leaders.
- Walk pieces and other professionally designed materials to improve door-to-door canvassing.
- Campaign training workshops to help Resistance leaders run successful field campaigns, recruit volunteers, effectively message, and turn out voters.
- Voter lists and turf cutting for Resistance partners who don’t have dependable access to targeted voter lists.
- A comprehensive vote archive in development to identify the many ways the 14 have harmed their constituents.
- Amplification of events to boost in-district turnout.
- Filling in the gaps in the Resistance where we see them.
For more information or to request our services, visit our requests page.
Why All 14?
Flip the 14 is focused on helping the California Resistance take advantage of every opportunity during the congressional elections in 2018. While many organizations are focused only on districts that Hillary Clinton won in 2016, we think that is a mistake.
In recent years, Democrats nationally have been most successful when they’ve pursued a 50-state strategy. In politics, a lot can change overnight. Pickup opportunities can be lost if no one has done the groundwork in a district to take advantage of sudden changes in the electoral landscape. We think it is a mistake to write off any district in California this early. A great Democratic candidate + a flawed Republican incumbent + an electorate mobilized to push back against Trump = a recipe for major upsets in 2018. Flip the 14 is on the ground to make those upsets possible.
California presents a promising opportunity to flip a large number of seats for three reasons:
Coming Blue Wave. Following the 2016 election, races in Virginia, Alabama, and elsewhere have shown a surge of interest and momentum for Democratic candidates and against Republicans who enable the disastrous Trump Administration.
Incumbents Who Hurt Californians. EVERY California Republican in Congress voted to take health care away from nine million Californians, strip millions of American workers from access to overtime compensation, and cut $1.5 trillion from Medicare and Medicaid. 12 of the 14 also saddled our economy with a $1 trillion deficit to pass massive tax cuts for the super rich. They are actively harming us and must be stopped.
- California’s Progressive Voting Access Laws. In many states, the blue wave will be dampened by voter suppression and gerrymandering, but not here in California. 2018 will be the first election in California history with both same day voter registration and automatic voter registration (aka motor voter). We also allow 17-year olds to pre-register to vote and provide a broad window to vote-by-mail. All of these laws drastically expand the pool of potential voters.